Episode 22: John Cutler
About John Cutler
John Cutler is keenly focused on user experience and evidence-driven product development. He mixes and matches various methodologies to help teams deliver lasting outcomes for their customers.
John currently works as the Head of Product Research & Education at Amplitude. As a former UX researcher at AppFolio, a product manager at Zendesk, Pendo.io, AdKeeper and RichFX, a startup founder, and a product team coach, John has a perspective that spans individual roles, domains, and products.
His viral enthusiasm has been heard through speaking/teaching engagements at QCon NYC, Agile-Lean Ireland, UXThailand, UXLondon, Front, Oredev, Mind The Product, Agile 2015, and various ProductCamps (Vancouver, Los Angeles, Raleigh NC) and MeetUps (Santa Barbara, Los Angeles, New York). John’s talk on Feature Factories was voted one of the Top 10 Product Talks of 2017. Mixing in some less-than-typical experiences — driving rickshaws in NYC, and touring the US with “five other weird creative people in a van playing music” — John blogs prolifically about collaboration, product development, diversity, UX research, lean startup, and user experience. Some notable posts include The Evolving Product Manager Role, Persona(s) Non Grata, 12 Signs You’re Working in a Feature Factory, and Stop Setting Up Product Roadmaps To Fail.
About this episode
Joining Mik on this episode of Mik + One is “sage and poet of product thinking” John Cutler, Head of Product Research & Education at Amplitude.
In this episode, Mik and John discuss:
- Defining what a product is
- Rethinking how to apply product thinking to force multipliers and change steps
- The “sixth sense” required to understand the challenges of software design and technology
- What traditional enterprises can learn from startups and tech 2.0 companies
- Mapping organisational structure to strategy to drive innovation
- Embracing the interplay of skills and knowledge across the organization
Subscribe to the Mik + One podcast today so you never miss an episode and don’t forget to leave your review.
- John Cutler - Medium
- How to Break Free of the Feature Factory
- Mik + One: Peter Moore
- Zone to Win: Organizing to Compete in an Age of Disruption by Geoffrey A. Moore
To download the transcript for this episode, click here.