Episode 4: International Women’s Day Special
Gail C. Murphy is a Professor of Computer Science and Vice-President Research and Innovation at the University of British Columbia. She is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada and a Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), as well as co-founder, board member and former Chief Scientist at Tasktop Technologies Incorporated. After completing her B.Sc. at the University of Alberta in 1987, she worked for five years as a software engineer in the Lower Mainland. She later pursued graduate studies in computer science at the University of Washington, earning first a M.Sc. (1994) and then a Ph.D. (1996) before joining UBC. Dr. Murphy’s research focuses on improving the productivity of software developers and knowledge workers by providing the necessary tools to identify, manage and coordinate the information that matters most for their work. She also maintains an active research group with post-doctoral and graduate students.
Nicole Bryan is the Chief Product Officer at Tasktop Technologies. She has more than 19 years of experience in software and product development, focused primarily on bringing data visualization/infographics and human factors considerations to the forefront of Application Lifecycle Management. Most recently, she served as director of product management at Borland Software/Micro Focus, where she was responsible for creating a new Agile development management tool. Prior to Borland, Bryan worked for the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) Regulatory Division, where she managed some of the first Agile project teams at the NYSE. Bryan is a published thought leader on the topic women in technology. She is also passionate about improving how software is created and delivered – making the experience enjoyable, fun, and even delightful.
Naomi Lurie is Senior Director of Product Marketing at Tasktop. She is passionate about making businesses successful through effective customer-centric communication. With over 15 years of B2B product management and marketing experience, she specializes in large enterprises and their digital transformations.
About this episode
In honor of International Women’s Day 2020, Mik is joined by three incredible women within the industry: Gail Murphy, Tasktop Co-Founder, and Professor of Computer Science and VP of Research and Innovation at the University of British Columbia, Nicole Bryan, Vice President of Product Development at Tasktop; and Naomi Lurie, Senior Director of Product Marketing at Tasktop.
Gail, Nicole and Naomi had an open, inspirational and thought-provoking conversation with Mik about:
- Why technology companies should not only focus on code and algorithms but should welcome a diversity of viewpoints to create products that people want to use
- Creating a work environment where women feel they can openly communicate their passion and show their emotion without feeling weak or judged
- Leadership’s responsibility to facilitate meetings appropriately, and ensure women feel that their voices are being heard
- Creating role model ladders and how women can support, educate and inform each other to foster gender equality in the workplace
- How we can inspire more women at an individual, organization and industry level
Subscribe to the Mik + One podcast today so you never miss an episode and don’t forget to leave your review.
- Personal History by Katharine Graham
- The Need for Role Model Ladders by Nicole Bryan
- How To Lead Inclusive Meetings by Rebekah Bastian
- Meeting Equality: How To Make Sure Everyone Gets Heard by Peter Daisyme
- The Universal Phenomenon of Men Interrupting Women by Susan Chira
- Women at Work: Make Yourself Heard by Harvard Business Review
To download the transcript for this episode, click here.
Ready for more insights? Browse the Mik + One Podcast archive.
Listen to over 50 business and technology leaders sharing how they deliver value and drive digital transformations in their organizations.Browse All Episodes