Episode 12: Don Reinertsen (Part 1)
About Don Reinertsen
Don is the President of Reinertsen & Associates, a consulting firm specialized in the management of product development. He has worked with leading product development organizations for over 35 years, and taught executive courses at Caltech for 15 years.
He is the author/co-author of three best-selling books on product development, and is considered one of the leading thinkers in the field of lean product development.
His latest award winning book, The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development, has been praised as, “… quite simply the most advanced product development book you can buy.
About this episode
In the twelfth Mik + One, Mik sits down with Don Reinertsen, President of Reinertsen & Associates, a product development consulting firm located in Redondo Beach, CA, and author of three best-selling books on product development: Developing Products in Half the Time; Managing the Design Factory: A Product Developer’s Toolkit; and The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development.
A wide variety of topics were discussed in the first half of this special two-part episode, including:
- Viewing product development decisions as economic tradeoffs
- Shifting from deterministic planning models to a stochastic perspective
- Managing the Fuzzy Front End: the time from opportunity identification to commitment
Listen to part two of this conversation which includes discussions around assessing the reserve buoyancy of a project, using loss of safety margin as a leading indicator of project deterioration, and becoming more rigorous about how we think about technical debt.
Subscribe to the Mik + One podcast today so you never miss an episode and don’t forget to leave your review.
- Developing Products in Half the Time by Don Reinertsen
- Managing the Design Factory: A Product Developer’s Toolkit by Don Reinertsen
- The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development by Don Reinertsen
- Understanding Flow Metrics in Software Delivery
To download the transcript for this episode, click here.