Episode 40: Dean Leffingwell
About Dean Leffingwell
Recognized as one of the world’s foremost authorities on Lean-Agile best practices, Dean Leffingwell is an entrepreneur and software development methodologist best known for creating SAFe®, the world’s most widely used framework for business agility.
His best-selling books, Agile Software Requirements, Scaling Software Agility, and SAFe® Distilled, form much of the basis of modern thinking on Lean-Agile practices and principles.
Founder of several successful startups, including Requisite, Inc. (acquired by Rational), Mr. Leffingwell also served as Chief Methodologist to Rally Software, and prior to that, as Sr. Vice President at Rational Software (now part of IBM). He currently serves as Chief Methodologist to Scaled Agile, Inc., which he co-founded in 2011.
About this episode
We're delighted to welcome back Dean Leffingwell, Co-founder and Chief Methodologist at Scaled Agile. Dean is an entrepreneur and software development methodologist best known for creating SAFe®, the most widely used framework for business Agility.
In this episode, Mik and Dean focus on practices and behaviors of high-performing teams, digging into their own experiences on what makes teams thrive. Additional topics include:
- Dean's learnings on what he has seen with large transformations using SAFe
- Insight into how and why the Flow Metrics were incorporated into SAFe 5.1
- The importance of predictability in the enterprise
- The evolution of the Scrum Master role
- Measuring the system and outcomes, the different levels of team metrics, and who owns the Flow competency, outcomes and improvements of those metrics
- What makes a high performing team in 2021 and what Dean's predictions on how this may look in 2025
Subscribe to the Mik + One podcast today so you never miss an episode and don’t forget to leave your review.
- Scaled Agile Framework
- Metrics by Scaled Agile
- Flow Metrics and SAFe
- Agile Software Requirements: Lean Requirements Practices for Teams, Programs, and the Enterprise by Dean Leffingwell
- Scaling Software Agility: Best Practices for Large Enterprises by Dean Leffingwell
- SAFe 5.0 Distilled by Dean Leffingwell and Richard Knaster
- Mik + One Podcast: Dean Leffingwell (Episode 8)
- Team Topologies: Organizing Business and Technology Teams for Fast Flow by Matthew Skelton and Manuel Pais
To download the transcript for this episode, click here.